Monday June 25th, 2012
Q: We have been having problems with our Siemens PhoneMail system; message play back issues, partial greeting play-back, etc.
Our service technician has informed us that he needs to down the PhoneMail system and perform what he called `fixup utilities’. Our technician also informed us that if the `fixup utilities’ do not correct our PhoneMail problem we may need to reload PhoneMail.
I am the system administrator for our Siemens PhoneMail system and if we need to reload PhoneMail, I want to make sure we have the necessary software needed for the system reload before the technician comes on-site. I have a recent database backup which is about a month old. Is that all I need?
A: No system software is needed to run the `fixup utilities’. If your problem persists, and your technician determines a reload is necessary; you will need to locate the following:
- The complete set of PhoneMail System software for your current software release. This will be on floppy diskettes.
- The complete set of PhoneMail System Prompt software for your current software release. This will be on floppy diskettes.
- The System Info floppy diskette, unique to your site.
- The Options floppy diskette, unique to your site.
- As current as possible `database backup’ floppy diskette(s).
- As current as possible `Names’ backup floppy diskette.
From your question, it looks like you may not have a current backup of the `Names’ file for your system. So you will have the most current backup available I would suggest you have the service technician make a `database backup’ before he reloads the Phonemail system to perform the `fixup utilities’ (the`Names’ file for individual users is the voice recording a caller hears when a caller is forwarded to PhoneMail from the user’s telephone).
If you prefer you can complete a `Names’ file backup before the technician comes to your site. The process to back-up the `Names’ file is very similar to the procedure you have used to back-up the database. One important difference is that PhoneMail must be in a `down state’ when making a back-up of the `Name’ file, so you will need to schedule a time for PhoneMail to be down.
To perform the `Names’ file backup you will access the PhoneMail system with your `System Administrator’ logon and password; at the `Function’ prompts you will do the following:
- Down PhoneMail by entering DeactivatePM at the Function prompt.
- When PhoneMail is down you will enter BackupNames at the Function prompt and then follow the directions from PhoneMail to make a floppy backup.
- When the backup is complete, bring PhoneMail back on line by entering ActivatePM at the Function prompt.
Please feel free to give us a call with any questions at (866) 536-7305.
Siemens Simplified Tech Tips are provided for educational purposes only. Telizent Communications will not be liable for any errors or inaccuracies, or any actions taken in reliance thereon. Telizent Communications expressly disclaims all warranties – expressed or implied – as to the accuracy of any of the content provided, or as to the fitness of this information for any purpose. If you are not trained on the systems you are administering or are not comfortable performing the steps described in the Siemens Simplified Tech Tips you should contact Telizent for trained technical support.